Friday 20 April 2007

Magnetic Stir Plate

I've always used dried yeast. It's quick and easy and good enough if you are happy with the range of yeasts available. Recently I made a clone of Chimay's Grande Reserve - the blue one. For this, no dried yeast was going to cut it. So, I bought me a Wyeast Activator 1214 Belgian Ale Yeast, which I just smacked, pitched and stirred.

I want to do the funky liquid yeast thing again, but this time, I am going to do what all the cool kids are doing and make a starter.

I can think of no better way to make a yeast starter than with powerful magnets, so built a magnetic stir plate along the lines of this.

Mine's a bit different. Here's a pic of it with the lid off:

From Beer Equipments


Rather than faff about with trying to get the magnets centred on the fan by trial and error, I cut a piece of Veroboard (matrix PC board) to size and centred it on the fan. I then determined the optimum magnet spacing for my stirbar by letting the magnets stick to the stirbar wherever they wanted and transposing this to the Veroboard. I made a little wire jig to hold the magnets in place while glueing them.


It's a wee ripper! Here it is demonstrating how it can stir the last 1.5 litres of Melbourne's potable water supply:


From Beer Equipments